Performing the Test
- Patient standing as this will make varicose veins more obvious
- Place fingers lightly on a vein proximally with one hand.
- With other hand, place fingers 15-20 cm distally along the same vein, compress/decompress the vein sharply from this distal point.
- Feel for the pressure wave transmitted to the fingers of the proximal hand.
- Normally, the proximal hand should feel no impulse. If an impulse is felt this indicates a varicose vein.
- Bickley L, Hoekelman R. Bates’ Guide to Physical Examination and History Taking. Philadephia, Pa: Lippincott; 2009.