If alcoholism is suspected (see quant. below), one can employ the CAGE questionnaire (one point for each question answered "yes")
- Men: >4 drinks in one sitting, >14 drinks per week
- Women: >3 drinks in one sitting, >7 drinks per week
- C: Have you ever felt the need to cut down on your drinking?
- A: Have you ever felt annoyed by people who criticize your drinking?
- G: Have you ever had guilty feelings about drinking?
- E: Have you ever taken a drink in the morning (eye-opener) to steady your nerves or to get rid of a hangover?
- Score of 2-3: high index of suspicion for alcoholism
- Score of 4: virtually diagnostic for alcoholism